Children’s University Graduation
Class of 2020
What is Children’s University?
Children’s University is a charity that works in partnership with schools to develop a love of learning in children, by encouraging and celebrating participation in extra-curricular activities in and outside of school. The impact of these activities is proven to be positive which is they are committed to creating a level playing field of opportunity and opening up access to children of all backgrounds.
The need for Children’s University
By the time a child turns 18, they will have spent just 9% of their waking life in a classroom. Children’s University is about making the most of the remaining 91%. Research shows that participation in extra-curricular activities can positively impact on attainment, increase a pupil’s positive identification with school, and build self-confidence and resilience. Research also shows that children that do not have access to these opportunities fall behind, lack confidence, and fail to develop career aspirations. The resulting attainment gap is so significant that 25% of children from the most disadvantaged backgrounds achieve below expected attainment levels.
Key outcomes we want for every child
For every child that takes part in Children’s University, we want the following outcomes:
- They feel they have grown in confidence and self-belief
- They have enjoyed new experiences, in new places and want to keep exploring
- They believe they have a broader range of essential skills
- They feel empowered to make positive choices about their future
- They see learning that is fun, aspirational and lifelong
- They feel their eyes have been opened to a multiplicity of learning activities and opportunities
- They feel celebrated for their commitment to learning by their family, school and community.
Watch this video for further information:
More information about Children’s University